Saturday 17 December 2011

Dec 09: Hong Kong Day 2

Slept in quite a bit the morning... Popped awake briefly at 6.30 to perfect vision... Only to realize that I slept in my Rayban's last night...oops! Briefly played with the iPad until about 7, before conking out again... next thing I knew, it was 10am.

Here starts day 2: downstairs to Mai-Wong cafe again for breakfast: satay beef instant noodles. Brother had a Hainan chicken rice: given that it was already 11am already, so he was thinking more "brunch" than anything else.

Went shopping! Now BigCuz looked it up online last night, and suggested we head over to the Wilson Building in Causeway Bay to the camera and computer section up in Lv 10/11 to find a camera backpack for tomorrow's Malaysia/Singapore trip. Ended up getting a Lowenpro 250 for 690HKD... a heck of a lot cheaper than back home. By now, it was getting near 1pm...and time for the Friday prayers: met up with mum first to drop off the shopping, then off to the Oi Kwon Rd mosque in WanChai. Lunch afterwards was at the Islamic Canteen above the prayer halls...one of the best places in HK to have yumcha and not worrying about 'Does it have pork in that?'.

After lunch, went off to the phone store, to enquire about rates for prepaid Internet. Stupid iPad doesn't have all the apps that I'd like (i.e. no Whatsapp): hmmm... to get a SIM card for my N97 apps too? *Sigh...* I am wayyyy too technologically connected these days.

So 3 phone stores later, mum's reminded me that I still have the KL/SG trip tomorrow, and not to hurry up and get the SIMs as yet. Fair enough, given that I'm not in too much of a hurry to stay connected... Though it'd be nice to be able to contact the peeps back home.

Sogo... Building of EVERYTHING shoppable in Causeway Bay. Tonight we're going over to our cuz's for hotpot, so Mum's decided to get two small cheesecakes for dessert: going in, ducking down and around hordes of shoppers, we somehow manage to dive down to the B2 level foodstores. This month seems to be an exhibition for Hokkaido products, and there's everything: seafood, wasabi, beans of some form, etc... and also the cheesecakes. After trying a few flavours, Mum and my brother decided on getting just the original and the chocolate editions... and 'twas only $100 for 2 6-inch cakes. In my opinion, the chocco one is really good: fine rich chocolate without being overpowering.

Anyway, with cheesecakes in hand, we headed back to collect my backpack before heading our separate ways. My brother zoomed east to meet up with Auntie and her grandson Adam, whilst I headed home first to dump the new backpack, then collect my camera and my fleece jumper - for which I had been called a fool and told to wear because it was only 13degrees. Fair enough... it does get a tad nippy at times when the wind blows(which can be quite often in the hilly ranges), but is otherwise bearable with a t-shirt under a long-sleeve shirt.

Back on track: grabbed my gear, then dived down (like a mole) straight to the Fortress Hill MTR station, and was whisked across to Tai Koo...my childhood home and also where my cuz is now living. It's been 5 years since I've spent any decent time on Hong Kong Island, and my navigating skills are a tad rusty... Yes, you guessed it: I managed to get myself lost travelling to my cuz's place.

First was getting out of the station at the 'A' exit- not the closest, but still serviceable (even Adam told me off for not picking the C exit). Not to worry, crossed the main road and walked towards the C exit, and kept on going.

Second was walking in Kornhill Plaza: took the escalator up to the third floor, and wandered around aimlessly looking for the connecting skybridge that I remembered of old. My problem was that I didn't keep track of which direction was I was facing, so I took the wrong skybridge, crossed over the main road, and ended up back at the A exit. Oops... Walked around in a HUGE circle! So I admitted defeat, and started all over again.

This time I was wiser: took the escalator to the 4th floor, and finally started recognising the route. Yay! 10 mins later, I was indoor watching Adam finishing up his daily tutoring homework.
Dinner was for the 9 of us, sitting around a hot pot with lamb, beef, fish balls and squid balls, beef balls, assorted veggies, black and enoki mushrooms, chicken, and oysters.

Not much else to say, really. We left at 10 with young Adam in tow, who insisted on coming with and staying the night with us (at his grandmum's). Myself, I didn't get to bed until abut 1am: with final luggage checks and setting up (and continuing to learn more about) my iPad. Tonight's lesson involved the App Store, and downloaded a few apps in preparation for our journey: "ieat hawker" as recommended by Clarissa (www.eatmyshots.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment